10 Questions with Deyvid Rodriguez: Snapshot of the Past, Presence and Future with Albany Local and one of LBCC's Own

At a Glance:
Name:
Deyvid Rodriguez
Occupation: Painter at Integrity Painting Company
Age: 20
Hometown: Albany, Oregon
Education: West Albany High School, LBCC
Years at LBCC: 2
Major Focus: Electrical Engineering and Computer Software
Favorite Teams: America Futbol, Barcelona Futbol
Other Interests: Cars, Shoe Collecting and Food!

    “Regardless of the challenges that happen in life, I choose to smile” said Deyvid Rodriguez. Born and raised local of Albany, Oregon, Deyvid Rodriguez meets with The Commuter and exposes his twenty years of life to bring a bright message to LBCC about the importance of family and appreciating the little things in life.
    Rodriguez was born on June 23, 2000. He spent his childhood playing soccer and enjoying the outdoors with his brother and friends. They would laugh and explore for hours after attending elementary school. These were the simple times. However, at the age of 14, his parents divorced, placing the Rodriguez brothers in a tough financial situation. They lived with their dad and oftentimes went through meals without being able to eat.
    This was difficult on Deyvid as “students usually bring or buy lunch at school but I would just walk around or hang out until the time passed” said Rodriguez.
    He understood that there was nothing he could do about the situation, so he continued to go through life with a smile.
    Two years after the divorce, Colby Rodriguez passed away in a horrible accident at the age of 17.
    After the accident, Deyvid was able to be resilient and live for his brother. “No matter what happens, I just smile a lot, that’s all I can do.”
    Once Deyvid was 17, he moved out of the home with his dad and got out on his own, paying rent at his aunts’ home and working often to support himself. He graduated from West Albany High School in 2019 and began attending LBCC the following fall.
    In this interview, Deyvid dives deep in reflection and shares insights for young adults that may be in a similar stage of life.



1. What did you see yourself doing for a career when you were growing up?

Since I was a young kid, I wanted to fly airplanes. I've always been fascinated by planes and wanted to become a commercial airline pilot, but ran into problems when I looked into the cost of school. So instead, I enrolled in LBCC and began my education in electrical engineering and computer software.

2. Who inspires you?

My family inspires me. My dad lives in Mexico right now and just had another daughter, so I have a new  half sister. I want to make sure I can help my dad because he doesn't make hardly anything down there. So yes, helping my family would have to be my main inspiration. When I wake up each day and spend hours working or doing school, I'm always thinking about them. I think it's important to send money or help as much as I can so my sister can grow up in a happy environment. 

3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In five years, I will be 25 years old. I see myself with $200,000 saved that will allow me to buy properties and rent those out. This will continually increase my income for the years following, I just need to get a solid fund for starting. I also see myself having my own company involving my current work and what I am studying in college. Also, I've been playing the stock market so I will continue to let my stocks grow in the years to come which should pay off. I want to stay in Albany, Oregon, but I see myself having an upgraded home at this point.

4. How has the last 5 years influenced your life path and goals?

When my mother left at age 14, my father had to work three jobs to sustain us. This meant I never saw him and I was left with my brother Colby to figure out life and growing up. I saw how hard he worked at such a young age, so I got my first job at the age of 17. This allowed my dad to move back to Mexico because I was finally financially independent. I was in high school and working almost full-time, and moved out on my own to stay local. So I would say being on my own for so long and being so young, I went through life without specific goals. I was always trying to make sure I could support myself and just wanted to graduate high school. But in the past year I've seen how I can make more money once I have a degree. I can start my own company with the experiences I'm getting with my job. I can invest my money. Even though I wasn't raised with a lot, I am still capable of having the life I want and deserve if I work hard and have goals. 

5. What advice would you give your younger self?

The only advice I would give myself is to spend more time with my brother. I don't like to live life with regrets and I don't think I would be any different if I had older me giving me advice at a young age. But I know that spending more time with him would've made the best difference in my life. We were really close and made great memories, but looking back, there just wasn't enough time. Spend time with your family and loved ones. You never know what can happen in life and missing someone is the worst feeling, especially when you can't go back in time.  

6. What experiences have changed your perspective?

When my parents were separated and my dad had barely any money to sustain us, I wasn't eating much. There were days we didn't eat. I was too young to work, so I couldn't do anything. Not having food when I was younger changed how I see the world now. Especially when it comes down to food. I always eat every last crumb, even when I'm full. Honestly growing up poor has made me appreciate everything in life so much. You don't need a lot to be happy. Money comes and goes and you can always buy lots of things over your life. The point of money, to me, is to make you happy and healthy. 

7. What interests do you have aside from your career and education?

I like cars, especially ones that drift. I've always wanted to buy a drifting car so I can go to a safe location and have some fun! I want to own many cars when I get older that I can spend time fixing up to keep classic or modifying to my creative desire. I also like working out and going to the gym or playing soccer with my friends. I love collecting shoes and have already started my collection. I want to have a house full of shoes- a shoe house! Gotta dream big.

8. What motivates you?

What motivates me is to become rich- but who isn't motivated by money? I want to be able to have money that not only supports me, but the people I love. It is a long mission, but the mission will be successful and pay off for the rest of my life. Working hard while I'm young will set me up for my future. My vision for success motivates me.

9. What animal represents you and why?

The Giant Panda is my favorite animal and I would say it represents me because they seem like relaxed, happy and cute animals. They are always eating, which is relatable and they are camouflage with nature, which I would say I blend in within Albany. They also are helpful animals and care for other pandas and I am always making sure I help people in any way possible. But even though they are sweet and cuddly, they are bears and will be aggressive when necessary. I would say this animal and I have a lot in common and that's probably why they've always been a favorite.

10. What color represents you and why?

I would say the color red represents me the best. It is bold and almost a loud color. I don't think I'm overly bold towards people I don't know, but I have a distinct personality to the people I'm close with. I am loud about things I care about and have a strong sense of humor. I am independent and I think red is a good representation of this because it is good on its own and doesn't have to blend with other colors to be attractive. I would say red has always been m y favorite color and I am a walking representation, even when I'm not wearing it.

Comments

Popular Posts